- The 25th of January is know as St Dwynwen’s Day or ‘Dydd Santes Dwynwen’ in Welsh. It’s the feast day of St Dwynwen, the Welsh patron saint of lovers – a day in which the Welsh celebrate all things love and romance.
Whether you’re planning a romantic day out or looking for a reason to explore Cardiff – we have a few recommendations on how you can spend the Welsh day of love in the City of Arcades.
(1) See the lovespoon gallery at Castle Welsh Crafts
In Welsh tradition, a lovespoon is a decoratively carved wooden spoon that is gifted as a token of love. Castle Welsh Crafts, just opposite Cardiff Castle, is home to Cardiff’s only lovespoon gallery with the world’s largest and smallest lovespoons. They offer a bespoke carving service so you can personalise a lovespoon for your loved one.
(2) Enjoy a freshly baked Welsh cake from Fabulous Welshcakes
There’s nothing better than a Welsh cake fresh off the griddle. And the best place to get one? Fabulous Welshcakes in Castle Arcade – a shop that prides itself on baking welsh cakes fresh each day.
(3) Support local creators at the Queer Emporium
The Queer Emporium is an independent LGBTQ+ shop and cafe in Royal Arcade selling queer art, books, clothing and accessories. They have some great gifts for St Dwynwen’s Dat and they are launching vegan pink hot chocolate to celebrate the Welsh holiday.
(4) Choose your signature fragrance at Molton Brown
Head to Molton Brown in Cardiff’s trendy Morgan Quarter to choose your signature fragrance. With the help of their fragrance finder you can match your personality to a scent that’s distinctively you.
(5) Get a petal manicure at Nailcraft Emporium
After selecting your signature fragrance, head to Nailcraft Emporium in Wyndham Arcade for a luxurious petal mani or pedi. Perfect for couples or for those looking for a bit of ‘me time’.
(6) Treat a loved one to dinner in the arcades
Bills Cardiff Central is nestled on the corner of Wyndham arcade, a Victorian era arcade with seating along its walkway and beautiful historic architecture you can enjoy over delicious food and drink. Every Sunday to Thursday until 10th February, Bills are offering buy one get one free on all main courses to anyone who shows this digital scratchcard.
(7) Grab a night-cap at NightHawks
Top the day off with a glass of wine or a cocktail at Nighthawks. The newly opened independent wine bar sells 12-13 wines by the glass along with a range of cocktails and small bites. With a cosy snug and seating under the arcades, NightHawks is the perfect way to finish the day.
(8) Wish a loved one a Dydd Santes Dwynwen Hapus ❤
Don’t forget to wish your loved one ‘Dydd Santes Dwynwen Hapus’ which means Happy St. Dwynwens Day in Welsh. You can pick up a St Dwynwen Day card at The Pen & Paper in Royal Arcade who have a range of Welsh language greeting cards.
For more recommendations on what to do and see in Cardiff, the City of Arcades, follow us on social or sign up to our mailing list.