Theme: ‘Abstract City’
We are delighted to announce that we are running a photography competition to capture the uniqueness and character of Cardiff city centre.
Cardiff is a city of many stories. From the Victorian and Edwardian arcades that weave through its high streets to the magnificent Principality Stadium – the beating heart of Wales’s capital.
We are looking for photographs that are expressive, interesting, and unusual – show us something we haven’t seen before!
The winning photographer will receive a £500 commission to take pictures of Cardiff for the City of Arcades brand.
Your photographs will help us to promote Cardiff far and wide and show people what makes Cardiff special.
This is a fantastic opportunity for an aspiring photographer to raise their profile, build their portfolio, gain work experience, and have their work seen by thousands.
- publish an image on Instagram as a ‘feed post’
- include the hashtag #coa_abstractcity in the caption
- tag @thecityofarcades
- follow @thecityofarcades on Instagram
Participants must publish their image by 11:59pm on 5th June 2022 for their entry to be counted.
We will announce of shortlist of photographs on 6th June and ask the public to vote for their favourite image to win the competition. We will announce the winner on 13th June.
You can enter as many times as you like. The more entries the better!
- Photographs must be based in Cardiff city centre within the boundary indicated on this map.
- Please make sure that your Instagram profile is public when entering your photograph.
- Please read the terms and conditions before entering.
We encourage people from all backgrounds and abilities to take part. Participants must be over 16 to enter.
Terms and Conditions:
By entering this competition, the participant agrees to the following terms and conditions:
- (1) The following conditions must be met for a competition entry to be valid. The image must be posted on a participant’s Instagram feed between 12th May 2022 and 5th June 2022 and remain published until 13th June 2022. The participant must include the hashtag #coa_abstractcity in the caption and tag @thecityofarcades in the image. The participant must be following @thecityofarcades. The image must be taken in Cardiff city centre within the boundary indicated on this map: https://www.forcardiff.com/wp-content/uploads/2022/03/map-2-scaled.jpg .
- (2) Participants must be older than 16 to take part.
- (3) The participant must be available between 13th June – 10th July 2022 to be able to deliver the commission.
- (4) Participants agree to only enter images that they are the rightful owners of.
- (5) When taking photographs for this competition, the participant agrees to comply with the policies and procedures set by the business or location in which the participant operates.
- (6) When taking photographs for this competition, the participant agrees to gain permission from individuals included in photographs where they are clearly visible or identifiable.
- (7) Photography must not cause damage to any physical structure, put individuals in danger/harm, or cause disruption/distress.
- (8) Photography must not be considered offensive to individuals or businesses or cause damage to the reputation of individuals, businesses, or the city of Cardiff.
- (9) By entering the competition, you agree to give FOR Cardiff permission to share your image for the purposes of promoting the competition. FOR Cardiff will credit the photographer in this instance.
- (10) FOR Cardiff will evaluate competition entries against the competition brief and select a shortlist of entries which will be put to public vote. The public will vote for their favourite image between 6th June 2022 – 12th June 2022.
- (11) FOR Cardiff will announce the winner of the competition on the City of Arcades social media channels on 13th June 2022. The winner will be contacted by direct message on Instagram and must respond within 5 days to claim the prize.
- (12) If the winner fails to respond within 5 days, FOR Cardiff will select the entry that receives the second highest votes, and the process will continue until a winner is confirmed.
- (13) The competition prize is a £500 (net) commission to take photography on behalf of FOR Cardiff. This prize cannot be changed.
- (14) FOR Cardiff will send the winning photographer a creative brief and the two parties will agree on a timeline to complete the work. The winner agrees to send FOR Cardiff the commissioned photography by the agreed deadline. When the work is delivered, FOR Cardiff will pay £500 (net) to the photographer via invoice.
- (15) If FOR Cardiff is unsatisfied with the commission, the two parties will agree to come to a resolution. This may involve but is not limited to retaking or editing photographs.
- (16) City of Arcades and FOR Cardiff will have the right to use the commissioned photography for marketing purposes. This includes but is not limited to social media content, print and web content.
- (17) The City of Arcades intellectual brand remains property of FOR Cardiff.
- (18) FOR Cardiff retains the right to change the terms and conditions of the competition or close the competition at any time if there are reasonable grounds to.
- (19) The prize may be withdrawn if the winner is found to have seriously breached the terms and conditions of the competition.
- (20) Abuse of competition moderators will not be tolerated, and action may be taken.