Theme: ‘The Light of Winter‘
Since our Abstract City Instagram photography competition in June was so popular, we have decided to bring it back, this time with the theme: ‘The Light of Winter’.
In ancient Welsh tradition, the Winter solstice was celebrated with a traditional feast held on the shortest day of the year. Known as ‘Goleuni’r Gaeaf which can be interpreted as The Light of Winter, it was a time to celebrate community and welcome longer, brighter days.
Inspired by this Celtic tradition, FOR Cardiff have installed a light and sound experience in St Johns Gardens in Cardiff city centre opposite Cardiff Indoor Market . Colourful lights hang over the garden and move in response to the soundscape, imitating a murmuration of birds, celebrating nature and togetherness. The installation is in place until 11th February and the gardens are open from 8am-9pm each day.
The installation is one of many light experiences in Cardiff this Winter. Bute Park has been transformed into an immersive light trail, Cardiff Castle is illuminated for the festive season and Winter Wonderland is a playground of light and colour. Not to mention the Christmas lights in the historic Cardiff Arcades and the Christmas markets on the Hayes.
We are looking for photographs that capture Cardiff this Winter. You can experiment with light and dark to capture the illuminations and the atmosphere of Cardiff during the festive season. We encourage people from all backgrounds and abilities to take part.
publish an image on Instagram as a ‘feed post’
include the hashtag #coa_thelightofwinter in the caption
tag @thecityofarcades and @forcardiff
follow @thecityofarcades and @forcardiff
Photographs must be taken this Winter 2022/23.
Photographs must be based in Cardiff city centre.
Participants must be over 16 to enter.
You can enter as many times as you like. The more entries the better!
Please make sure that your Instagram profile is public when publishing your photograph.
Please read the terms and conditions before entering.
Participants must publish their image by 11:59pm on 22nd January 2023 for their entry to be counted. We will then announce a shortlist of photographs and ask the public to vote for their favourite image to win the competition. We will announce the winner on 2nd February.
The winning photographer will receive a £400 FOR Cardiff gift card which can be spent in over 70 businesses in Cardiff city centre from John Lewis and Marks and Spencer to Wally’s Deli and Sobeys Vintage.
This is a fantastic opportunity for an aspiring photographer to raise their profile, build their portfolio, and have their work seen by thousands. During our last photography, we received 2,277 votes from the public.
Please read the terms and conditions below before entering. Please email firstname.lastname@example.org if you have any questions.
Terms and Conditions:
By entering this competition, the participant agrees to the following terms and conditions:
(1) The following conditions must be met for a competition entry to be valid. The image must be posted on a participant’s Instagram feed between 7th November 2022 and 22nd January 2023 and remain published until 3rd February 2023. The participant must include the hashtag #coa_thelightofwinter in the caption and tag @thecityofarcades and @forcardiff in the image. The participant must be following @thecityofarcades and @forcardiff. The image must be taken in Cardiff city centre which is based on the area indicated on this map. Bute Park cam be included for the purposes of this competition.
(2) Participants must be older than 16 to take part.
(3) Participants agree to only enter images that they are the rightful owners of.
(4) When taking photographs for this competition, the participant agrees to comply with the policies and procedures set by the business or location in which the participant operates.
(5) When taking photographs for this competition, the participant agrees to gain permission from individuals included in photographs where they are clearly visible or identifiable.
(6) Photography must not cause damage to any physical structure, put individuals in danger/harm, or cause disruption/distress.
(7) Photography must not be considered offensive to individuals or businesses or cause damage to the reputation of individuals, businesses, or the city of Cardiff.
(8) By entering the competition, you agree to give FOR Cardiff permission to share your image for the purposes of promoting the competition. FOR Cardiff will credit the photographer in this instance.
(9) FOR Cardiff will evaluate competition entries against the competition brief and select a shortlist of entries which will be put to public vote.
(10) FOR Cardiff will announce the winner of the competition on the City of Arcades social media channels. The winner will be contacted by direct message on Instagram and must respond within 5 days to claim the prize.
(11) If the winner fails to respond within 5 days, FOR Cardiff will select the entry that receives the second highest votes, and the process will continue until a winner is confirmed.
(13) The competition prize is a £400 Cardiff gift card which is valid until 28th November 2023. This prize cannot be changed..
(14) The City of Arcades intellectual brand remains property of FOR Cardiff.
(15) FOR Cardiff retains the right to change the terms and conditions of the competition or close the competition at any time if there are reasonable grounds to.
(16) Abuse of competition moderators will not be tolerated, and action may be taken.
(17) FOR Cardiff or City of Arcades cannot offer tickets to events or experiences to participants.